Registration is open for our first External Stakeholder Workshop, an online event, on the 9th December 2020 from 09:00 – 12:30 CET/10:00 – 13:30 SAST.
This workshop will be the follow up of the Internal Project Workshop which will take place from 30th November to 1st December 2020. For the first External Stakeholder Workshop scheduled to take place on 9th December 2020, South Africa has been selected as the theme country. Therefore, planned discussions will focus on the related food security case study to incentivise a wider local participation.
- Showcase the state of FOCUS-AFRICA Project to engage with the stakeholders in South Africa that are interested in climate services.
- Assess user’s perspective of climate related risks.
- Map the existing climate risk mitigation and adaptation measures and responses.
- Raise an awareness of climate services tools and knowledge.
- Identify lessons learned from 2020 and COVID-19.
- Identified Networks of user’s communities interested in the project
- Initial assessment of climate related risks and their impact on food security.
- Baseline of existing national climate services
- List of opportunities for synergies with existing climate services initiatives.
- Assessment of current capabilities in developing and using climate services.
- Identification of mitigation and adaptation measures in place to withstand Covid-19 impacts on the project.
- Workshop report.
Workshop format and duration
The WS1 External Project Workshop will take place on 9th December 2020 for a duration of 3.5 hours (via teleconference).
Draft agenda from 09:00 – 12:30 CET
|09:00 - 9.10 09:10 - 09.20||Opening Introduction and overview of the workshop plus Icebreaker activity.||Ms. Roberta Boscolo, WMO coordinator|
Mr. Elliot Moyo / Mr. Jonathan Padavatan
|09:20 – 10:00||09:20-09:30: Presentation from Global Change Institute |
09:30-09 40: Presentation the South African Weather Services Water
09:40:10:00: Open discussion
|Dr. Francois Engelbrecht and Prof Coleen Vogel |
Dr. Mary-Jane Bopape
|10:00- 10:40||10:00-10:10: Presentation from the Landbank |
10:10-10:20: Presentation from South African Water Research
|Mr. Nehru Pillay |
Dr. Moses Choe
|10:40-11:20||10:40-10:50: Presentation from Farmers Association |
10:50-11:00: Presentation from Buhle Farmers Academy
Mr. Nyiko Maluleke
|11:20 - 11:40||Break|
|11:40 - 11:50||Outcomes of the internal project workshop||Ms. Roberta Boscolo|
|11:50 - 12:20||Discussion Feedback from the external stakeholders and open discussion to help improve the framing & implementation of the case study.||Dr. Beraki Asmerom|
|12.20 - 12.30||Wrap up session (plus workshop evaluation) Session outcome: Summary of objectives day’s activities and the proposed direction – focus on the specifics of South Africa.||Mr. Jonathan Padavatan|
The EU H2020 FOCUS-Africa project incorporates eight case studies within four sectors – agriculture and food security, water, energy and infrastructure – across the geographical region of the Southern African Development Community (SADC). The main objective of the project is to develop sustainable, tailored climate services.